The compliance and ethics team works with departments across the company to ensure policies and procedures have been implemented and are routinely updated to support compliance with the many laws and regulations governing our business. We monitor policies and completes business reviews and other projects for our legal team. We're looking for candidates who are professional and approachable. Candidates should be very detail-oriented and have a natural curiosity to want to determine how things work and have ideas for how processes can be improved.
Associate General CounselJob ID 11549 Date posted 05/14/2018
Join Our Team: Do Meaningful Work and Improve People’s Lives
Our purpose, to improve customers’ lives by making healthcare work better, is far from ordinary. And so are our employees. Working at Premera means you have the opportunity to drive real change by transforming healthcare.
To better serve our customers, we’re creating a culture that promotes employee growth, collaborative innovation, and inspired leadership. We are committed to creating an environment where employees can do their best work and where best-in-class talent comes, stays, and thrives!
As Associate General Counsel, you will work as a member of the Regulatory Affairs team. In this fast-paced role, you will provide analysis and consultation to the business on the impacts of regulatory requirements in an environment that is constantly evolving. As a trusted advisor, you will partner closely with the business to determine their ultimate goals and provide creative solutions when roadblocks are presented.
What you’ll do
- Provide legal analysis and consultative services that is consistent with Premera’s values as well as applicable laws and regulations while balancing legal risks with business objectives.
- Collaborate with clients (at all levels of the organization) to determine their business goals, and provide legal guidance.
- Take initiative to solve complex legal and regulatory problems.
- Responsible for consulting on issues pertaining to benefits contracts.
- Maintain knowledge of client's current business activities, as well as an understanding of the current regulatory environment.
What you’ll bring
- Juris Doctor (J.D.)
- Must have passed WA State Bar Exam or be eligible to take exam.
- Two (2) years’ experience in a major law firm, corporate setting, or government agency providing legal services in a progressive legal environment to business or government clients.
- Experience in federal and state (Washington/Alaska) health plan benefits law, including the Affordable Care Act, and the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA).
- Experience with government benefit programs (Medicaid/Medicare) is a plus!
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to navigate sensitive conversations and present solutions in a tactful manner.
- High level of independence and desire to be self-managed.
What we offer
Premera is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, vision and dental coverage
- Life and disability insurance
- Retirement programs (401K employer match and pension plan)
- Wellness incentives, onsite services, a discount program and more
- Tuition assistance for undergraduate and graduate degrees
- Generous Paid Time Off to reenergize
- Free parking