Premera’s information technology department focuses on making great healthcare coverage simple and easy to use. The IT team works to: • Keep our customer information secure • Develop mobile apps to put real-time information into our customers’ hands • Create data modeling for performance reporting and automated testing tools for software system optimization • Leverage the flexibility of cloud computing. The technology you work with will touch someone’s life. Premera insures more than 2 million people, from individual customers to employers whose iconic brands you use every day. They expect and get the best from us.
Systems EngineerJob ID 11211 Date posted 09/28/2017
Join Our Team: Do Meaningful Work and Improve People’s Lives
Our purpose, to improve customers’ lives by making healthcare work better, is far from ordinary. And so are our employees. Working at Premera means you have the opportunity to drive real change by transforming healthcare.
To better serve our customers, we’re creating a culture that promotes employee growth, collaborative innovation, and inspired leadership. We are committed to creating an environment where employees can do their best work and where best-in-class talent comes, stays, and thrives!
As a Systems Engineer for our Corporate Data and Analytics team, you will be part of a highly innovative team with a big mission. You will be drawing on your advanced knowledge and experience managing systems (Linux and Windows) for integration and support while providing foundational networking and securities with innovative technologies. You will pioneer new, efficient, fast-track development approaches that set the standard for the industry and help make our customers’ lives better by improving their healthcare. The team leans toward innovation and rapid delivery of Advanced Analytics, Statistical Analysis, and game-changing Application Development. The work is key to Corporate Strategy decisions and leads the company with new, innovative approaches to make healthcare simpler for our customers. In this position, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining the IT systems that support a growing practice centered on Big Data and Data Science. You will be working emerging data management technologies (Hadoop, Netezza, Teradata, NoSQL, etc.). You will be a key player on the team that delivers HIPAA compliant (secure), data-driven solutions to improve health care by enabling members and providers with flexible, accessible tools to provide transparency in health care decisions and increase patient safety.
What you’ll do:
• Evaluate, design, build, and document complex client server hardware and/or software solutions consistent with established standards
• Perform capacity planning, performance tuning and optimization when required for established systems
• Provide technical direction based on engineering's involvement with enterprise architecture
• Set new standards to satisfy the enterprise technical roadmap
• Provide Tier III support in support of lower level engineers & system administrators 24/7 for issues escalated to the highest level of support
• Engage external vendor support as required
• Perform as a subject matter expert for client server technologies in use at Premera, as well as remain knowledgeable in leading industry trends and technologies
• Make recommendations to management with regard to new third-party tools to meet evolving business requirements
What you’ll bring:
• Bachelor’s degree Information Systems, Business Administration or related field or four (4) years’ experience
• Seven (7)+ years’ experience in Information Technology
• Experience with Linux and Windows Operating Systems
• Experience with Apache Hadoop and related technologies (HUE, Spark, Sqoop, Solr, Impala, etc.)
• One or more of the following certifications: MCSE, A+, HP/Compaq ASE, MCP, MCSA, MCDBA, LFCS, LFCE, CCA, CCAH, HDPCA
• Experience with designing and administration for any or all of the following: Server Clustering, Distributed Systems (e.g. Hadoop, Netezza, Teradata or other MPP technologies), Network Load Balancing, servers (physical or virtual), application hosting, server security and hardening (e.g. Active Directory LDAP, Keberos), email managements systems (e.g. Exchange Server), web server configuration (e.g. Apache Tomcat or IIS), Virtualization environment (e.g. Citrix Metaframe XP, IBM WebSphere, VMWare, EMC Storage), network (e.g. Cisco LAN/WAN hardware and IOS)
• Understanding data is a plus
What we offer:
Premera is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
• Medical, vision and dental coverage
• Life and disability insurance
• Retirement programs (401K employer match and pension plan)
• Wellness incentives, onsite services, a discount program and more
• Tuition assistance for undergraduate and graduate degrees
• Generous Paid Time Off to reenergize
• Free parking